Need some tips for using a tanning bed? We’ll help you prepare so you can get that perfect, sunkissed tan you’ve always wanted.
Follow these steps if you want to get an amazing tan.
Step 1: Tanning Bed Lotion
The first thing to purchase before using a tanning bed is indoor tanning lotion. Although lotion is optional at most salons, it’s essential for a great tan. There are several factors you should watch out for while buying lotion, including:
- Your skin type (are you fair, medium, dark, etc.). If you have fair skin, then you’ll want to buy lotion with a higher SPF
- Where to buy. We recommend buying a tanning lotion from online rather than buying it from a tanning salon. You’ll get the best bang for your buck this way, and you’ll also have more options to choose from.
- How easily you burn. If you burn easily, you’ll want to not only get a higher SPF, but you’ll need to buy extra lotion because you’ll be using more.
- Are you interested in the tingle effect? Many products have a tingle effect which reports that it optimizes blood flow to the skin while tanning. In my experience, the tingle effect doesn’t help much with your actual tan, but it’s kind of fun to experiment with.
- Should you get something with a bronzer? Many products have a bronzing effect which helps darken the skin, but most wash off within a few days. Consider looking for something with a bronzing effect if you just need a great looking tan for a one-time special occasion.
- The scent of the lotion. This is important to consider, especially if you’re a guy. Many lotions have scents that are geared toward women, but there are also many that are not specific to one gender.
Step 2: Preparation
You should always exfoliate your skin before putting on lotion and going to the salon. This will ensure that your tan will last as long as possible. After you take a shower and exfoliate, you’re ready to go to the tanning salon. If this is your first visit, then the workers will ask you to fill out forms, and they’ll also try to sell you some lotion (usually at an unreasonable price, so you should buy it before going). They’ll ask you how long you want to go in for. If this is your first time and/or you have fair skin, we recommend starting with just 5 or 10 minutes. With tanning, it’s always better to stay on the safe side rather than getting burned by staying in for too long.
Additionally, you’ll want to check on which types of tanning bulbs are used in your tanning bed. There are several factors including UV ratings and power that will affect how long you should plan to tan. Most beds and bulbs come with a recommendation of how many minutes you should lie in the tanning bed. Make sure to be familiar with that recommendation, and plan accordingly.
Step 3: After Tanning
After you’ve completed your first session, we have some more tips that many people don’t know about. First, if you really want that natural, sunkissed look, then you’ll want to apply more lotion immediately after your session. This will help keep your skin moisturized, rejuvenated, and looking like it was done naturally as if you did it in the sun. Second, you should usually wait at least two days before going back to the tanning salon, and usually more than that. For most skin types, we recommend attending the salon only once or twice per week.
We hope your experience pays off!